Friday, June 11, 2010
Philosophy
Someone asked me yesterday,
What's the point of philosophy?
I asked them,
How do you know you exist?
They said,
because I know.
I asked,
If you dreamed about Florida, how do you know it was a dream? If you took a bus, how do you know that was real and Florida wasn't?
They said,
because...I can verify with another person that I took the bus.
I asked,
How can you know that the other person is real?
At that point, they said,
Oh. I get it.
Personally, I love Philosophy and I believe in its relevance, especially as someone leading a religious lifestyle. I have to have a clear-headed picture of why I am doing this. I can always go back to:
Is there a G-d?
How do I know?
How do I answer the classical arguments against G-d's existence, launched by people who were no slouches in logic or intellect?
If there's G-d, who says He's directly involved in my life? Who says he stands behind my particular religion?
What makes me think that Judaism is divine in origin?
What makes me think that the Judaism practiced and observed today is that which was divinely given 3,300 years ago?
What makes me think that there is an intact tradition from the original giving of the Torah until today?
I have worked out the answers to these questions, as every person should, both for their own sanity and for their future children's. So now, if I lack clarity, I can start at step one (Is there a G-d) and work my way down to why I am living my life the way I am.
Religious Judaism is very detail-oriented and permeates every aspect of a person's lifestyle and routine. If you're Jewish and non-observant, I would ask you,
How do you that your interpretation is correct?
How do you know G-d doesn't care about the details you are choosing not to fulfill?
If you are Jewish and observant, I would ask you,
Why?
Says who?
How do you know there is anything/anyone out there listening and observing your actions, thoughts, and words?
On what basis have you structured your behaviors to be complaint with the Torah?
(I probably WOULDN'T actually ask these to someone who was not my friend, because it seems like an attack. But for me, when I ask myself these questions, and go back to my personal answers, it enriches my life and restores my inspiration)
I have always loved philosophical questions. When I can answer them, I feel that the ground is more settled under my feet. When I have a clear conscience, I sleep, wake, think, and live better.
But this person (who asked me about the point of Philosophy) explained to me that not everyone has a deep need for it, that most people can get by just fine without asking these questions. Without needing the answers.
I can't decide if I agree or not. Some people are certainly more predisposed. I remember waiting for my dentist to start cleaning my teeth while memorizing Hamlet's Soliloquy ('To be or not to be...'). The dentist noticed the book in my hands and asked me what it was.
"Hamlet".
Why are you reading it? For school?
"I am not reading. I am memorizing."
Why?
"Because everyone should have this memorized."
I was 11 years old. That's called a predisposition.
But the question is, does the uninterested person need Philosophy? Do they need to answer the same questions I do, if they aren't asking?
Tell me your thoughts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I don't think the uninterested person Needs philosophy because if they aren't wanting it they are not going to know what to do with it. I guess the question is How do you define need? How can you define need for another? I don't think you can.
-Kendra
Post a Comment