I am a joint citizen of America and Israel. My legal name in America is Susan. My legal name in Israel, and life-long given Hebrew name, is Shoshana. Why did I start going by Shoshana? Two reasons:
1. Israelis. By my third trip to Israel, I was tired of being bombarded by Israelis attempting to pronounce or spell 'Susan', furrowing their brows, asking me my Hebrew name, and then rebuking me for going by something other than my Hebrew name. So when I enrolled in a year-long educational program, I wrote Shoshana on my application form. I didn't change my identity or anything, but it's just easier to function in Israel with your Hebrew name.
2. Preference. I happen to have always loved my Hebrew name anyway, which means 'Rose of the valley', or 'Rose of Israel', and is sourced in the Song of Songs by King Solomon. Until the age of twenty, though, I didn't really understand why I had a Hebrew name in addition to my English name. It was an irrelevant personal/cultural fact, like knowing you were born in the year of the Rat on the Chinese calendar.
No comments:
Post a Comment