Monday, May 17, 2010

Watermelon: The Sequel

There's a sequel to the watermelon issue. After I overcame my overly-hormonal (we're in our 8th month, after all) embitterment, I actually researched 'how do you choose a good watermelon?'
I got the answer from some online research, which was verified by my sister-in-law, who is Moroccan and therefore knows every secret tip to everything in life (I'm serious- these Sephardi women know everything).

So here's the scoop...


There are a few traits to look for in a watermelon:
1) either a nice round shape, or a nice oval shape, but not an awkward, in-between, or asymmetrical shape.


2) a nice, dark-green hue


3) a 'ripening spot' somewhere on the melon- although this should be cream or yellow, not stark white or light green, which could indicate a prematurely picked melon


4) the 'tap' test. I had seen this and heard of it, but I, like most people, didn't know what I was testing for, exactly. Basically, when you hit the melon with the flat part of your palm, you should feel it spring back a bit, as if the melon were an air-filled basketball. If you don't have that springy sensation, it may be mushy inside. 


5) one thing I didn't realize is that a melon doesn't continue to ripen after being picked. It may rot, but it won't get any riper- so the buying-green-bananas-for-next-week's-banana-needs strategy doesn't apply. If you get a watermelon that is premature, it will stay that way. 


I found this information fascinating and I was determined to be a melon victor, rather than a melon victim, on my next shopping excursion. And today, I was the successful selector of a healthy, intact watermelon (after 2.5 bad ones in the last couple of weeks). 

1 comment:

Yosef said...

Yes! No more melon victimization!

Hit Counters
Hit Counters