My older brother and I grew up fighting and competing with each other. As we got older, he became my hero for many reasons (and he still is), and his move to Israel and towards a Torah-observant life was the gateway to my move to Israel and to a Torah-observant life. He is married to one of the most incredible women I have ever met, and he is the father of the 2 most beautiful angels that ever graced this planet (this is the 4 of us at my wedding).
The life I lead now, in so many ways, challenges the norms and 'givens' that I grew up believing.
I used to think, on a certain level, that 'stuff' has the power to make a person happy. Not true. Stuff can make you temporarily comfortable. Perspective makes a person happy.
I used to think siblings had to take each other for granted. Or that in-law relationships had to be perfunctory. Not true. My brother and my sister-in-law are my heroes and I pray for the wellbeing of their young family at every opportunity.

No comments:
Post a Comment