Saturday, February 20, 2010

Opening Up the Gates

Sometimes, complaining can really open the gates.

I have, for a while now, harbored the misconception that when I complain, i.e., mention a difficulty or discomfort, that I am showing a lack of gratitude or a bad attitude towards life. Times when I couldn't help it, I would air out my frustrations, but I wouldn't feel good about it.
But lately, I've started to realize that 'complaining' is sometimes 100% beneficial.
It shows the belief that a solution is out there.
 I have seen more and more that when I admit a struggle to another person, it gives G-d a conduit to help me through it.

Big Issue Example- Health Care:
Me, to my Tap student, who is a grandmother :
 "I don't understand the healthcare system in this country, at all. I can't call a doctor- it's wait forever for an appointment, or go to the emergency room. And then you're charged money for going to the emergency room without a doctor's referral! I've yet to meet a doctor who allows you to call him, ever.How am I going to raise children in this system??"
While I am saying this, I am thinking- I am really being negative right now. I hope the other people at this bus stop don't understand English. And I hope my student doesn't think I am always this negative.
My student: "That's usually true, but there are actually two English-speaking doctors, a family doctor and a pediatrician, about 3 blocks from where you live, who are exceptions. I could always call them at 2:00 am for anything, all the years I was raising my children. Which healthcare do you have?"
Me: "Meuchedet"
Student: "Great! They are Meuchedet doctors. Tell them I sent you."
Do you know how many YEARS of frustration she had just subtracted from my life?

Small issue Example: Ice Trays
Me, to my husband:
"My least favorite thing to do in the kitchen is fill the ice tray. I hate it! I cannot do it without dripping water on the floor, unless I fill it 1/3 of the way full and then the ice cubes are not cubes. So I make normal-sized ice cubes but I don't realize I'm spilling the water, then I walk in it, and then the floor turns black."
While I am saying this, I am thinking, do I need to complain about this? Is this necessary?
But watch this:
He answers: "Why don't you just put water in a measuring cup, carry it to the freezer, and pour it into the tray?"
And I tried it. And I never need to complain (mentally or verbally) about that task ever again! So I've started to realize that a small amount of verbalized negativity can prevent a large amount of non-verbalized despair.

There's a song from the musical 'Shenandoah' which declares:

Freedom ain't a state like Maine or Virginia...
Freedom's in the state of mind


Which came to mind when I realized I'd been stifling the ability for people, or G-d, to help me

1 comment:

Rivki Silver said...

I can so relate to this. I have the same relationship to complaining, or pointing out something which I feel negatively about. Thank you for putting in such tangible examples how it can really be beneficial. Yay!

Hit Counters
Hit Counters