I started writing this blog for a few reasons. One of those reasons was my dear friend, Lauren, who is no longer with us. She was the first 'follower' of this blog.
I started writing this 10 months ago after we got back in touch. Although we grew up together in Morristown, through elementary school, middle school, and high school, we hadn't corresponded in years. This was my fault- I had been living as a student in Israel for a few years, with intermittent email/internet/international phone access. Most of my friends from home (especially high-school friends) didn't hear from me on a regular basis.
I realized that there were so many things to catch her up on-
why and how I chose to live in Israel- Jerusalem, no less...
why I was going by Shoshana when she'd always known me as Susan...
who I had married and how that had happened...
my baby that I was still expecting at the time..
basically, what had transpired in my life in the last few years. It was clear to her that a lot had changed, and I wanted to fill in the gaps. So I started writing. Then I realized that there were many friends and relatives I wanted to do this for. And so I started writing for those people, too. But everyone knows that when you write (same as acting), you need to be speaking to someone specific. Your narrative has to have a clear audience. I always think of it in these terms: in order to reach everyone, speak to SOMEone. So as I wrote my first entries, I decided:
I am speaking to Lauren.
This year, towards the end of my pregnancy, the week I started recording my album, Lauren passed away. Suddenly and tragically. To the heartbreak of our entire community. And we are all still in the aftershock. It was, and is, difficult.
Lauren was always a beam of light. And the only thing that I can guess about why G-d chose to take her and not another, is that she really had outstanding character traits. Generosity, humility, gratitude, poise, intelligence, true inner (and outer- although that's not a character trait) beauty...I could go on.
How could G-d take someone like Lauren? We won't get the full answer while we are still in this world, but I heard once from Rabbi Chalkowski that G-d sometimes takes, specifically, the righteous people. The purpose of this world is to give us opportunities to perfect ourselves and help us to grow into who we are in potential. If someone is righteous and has already achieved their inner goals, they don't need to be here anymore. So they are taken to the next world to receive their reward. But the rest of us still need to be here, we need every minute here, to reach our inner goals. And G-d, by taking just one outstanding person, forces hundreds of us regular people to vividly remember her strengths, learn from them, and become more like her in some small way.
I always knew she was special, but like everyone else, I would never have sat and thought and cried and conjured up all my memories of her, without this tragic event's occurrence. We're so busy, so occupied, that we don't appreciate people like that on a normal basis, to the degree that they deserve.
We needed a wake-up call.
In Lauren's memory, we slowly become better. And she would have wanted that. And now that she is in a place of true clarity, of only clarity, she can see the true impact that she has made on us, in her life and in her passing.
donate to Lauren's foundation here:

8 comments:
Beautiful, heartbreaking, and wonderful (as usual) post. I'm sorry for your loss, and grateful that you turned it into an opportunity for inspiration for us all. Thanks for including the link to her foundation; she must've been amazing for a foundation to have been started in her name. Wow.
What a wonderful blessing it was for the both of you to have been friends.
I am sorry for your loss. I know that she will still be there for you though.
She sounds like someone really special. It hurts to lose someone close to you but when you use the loss to help you grow, you will feel somewhat comforted. May your pain go away and may the thoughts and memories you have of her keep you inspired.
Thank you - I enjoyed reading this :)
So well said. Thank you.
So eloquently and beautifully said. Thank you.
We don't know each other (though we corresponded on Facebook a bit after Lauren's passing), but tonight I was thinking of her, went to her memorial page, and found this post. I've never been a very religious person, but the concept you so articulately describe in this post is the one thing that has helped me come to terms with Lauren's death. She was such an outstanding person, that with her loss I feel a need to be better. Like without her in the world, we all have to strive to make up for what is missing (even though we'll never be fully successful).
Lauren and I didn't have the same friends. We'd known each other in preschool, lost touch before high school, and only got back in touch a few years ago. So sometimes it's hard, because other people don't quite understand the loss. But just reading your words and knowing someone else felt the same way -- it helps. So thank you for that.
Sorry, I just posted a comment and I think it may have been posted under the wrong name. Should've been under heathershelb (used Google sign in and it seems something went crazy). If it came through with the wrong name, no need to approve it & make it public. Just wanted to say thank you.
Post a Comment