Monday, October 4, 2010

the Disenfranchised Carseat

If I want to put my baby down, there are several options:

the floor, on a blanket (good for working on lifting her head, bad for trying to walk through the room, also only lasts a maximum of 5 minutes)

the stroller (good for pushability, bad because she doesn't like being strapped into, or placed on top of, the harness so you have to lay a folded blanket over the harness first)

the baby carrier (okay, its not really putting her down, but it frees my hands. good for folding laundry, bad for cooking- I can't really see what my free hands are doing and I can't safely go near any heat sources)

the other baby carrier (same problems, plus its a hippie one and I am lacking the extra three hands it seems to require to tie it correctly)

the bed (no longer a safe option since I saw her roll over for the first time two weeks ago)

the pack n'play- (comfy and entertaining, but I can't really interact with her while she's lying in it- she's too far away)

which leaves, as the best option,

the car seat. It can follow me everywhere. She is positioned upright so she can be fully engaged in whatever's going on. AND she's safe and can't fall out/off of it. I can leave her there long enough to get the camera and even snap a few shots! The result of this is that the vast majority of our photos of her are in the car seat.  But as useful as it is, I still can't get used to the sight of a car seat outside of a car. I wonder if our borrowed car seat has ever actually been used in a car (the taxi ride home from the hospital doesn't count)...

Does anyone else find the sight of a car seat outside of a car somewhat strange?

4 comments:

Devorah said...

I used the car seat all the time in the beginning - it's a great way for the baby to be part of things and be able to observe everything you do.

MamaMerson said...

yes! i love your "the other baby carrier" I as well, with no matter how many instructions and video tutorials could never strap Ali to me without help.
You need one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Toy-Bouncy-Seat-Stella/dp/B000BVZ6H0

Maybe you can find a used one?

MamaMerson said...

I'm not familiar with that brand, "Manhattan Toy" is probably the fancy pants version of the kind I had.

Upper West Side Mom said...

I'm a big yenta when it comes to baby carriers so...You must must must find a really good baby carrier (and I don't mean any version of the Baby Bjorn). It will make life with a baby so much easier. There were no decent carriers around when I had my son 14 years ago. By the time I had number 3 I had finally found a great carrier and it changed my life.

There's a great baby wearing site called thebabywearer.com. They have great info on it. You can always get an Ergo though. It works well for most people and is much more comfortable than the Baby Bjorn. Also try practicing putting on the "hippie" one when the baby is asleep. That way you can get some good practice.

Hit Counters
Hit Counters