I waited...
and waited...
and waited..............
in the middle of Har Nof for a bus. You know the feeling: when you've finished your water bottle, called everyone (and reached no one), written an extremely extensive and unnecessarily detailed to-do list (just to be able to cross things off), wondered why you didn't bring a sefer tehillim, and actually noticed that the sun has moved since you sat down.
When my bus finally came, I boarded it with a sigh of relief. But suddenly, while I was handing the driver my cartis maavar*, I heard a resounding,
"MISS! WAIT, WAIT!! MISS???"
It was so loud and arresting that the driver actually stopped the bus and opened the doors again.
I thought, 'uuuuuugh'. I gritted my teeth and turned around. Was someone actually trying to get me to WAIT when I'd waited so long already? And there was no WAY I was getting off that bus now!
"YOU FORGOT YOUR KEYS!"
An older gentleman had discovered a set of keys near where I had been sitting, and was waving them and calling out to me, desperately trying to fulfill the Torah commandment of returning a lost object to its owner. Those keys were not mine, they were left by someone else. But the point is...
Maybe next time, I'll pause before jumping to conclusions.
And maybe I was meant to wait that long, only to see that man's efforts.
And maybe one day I will be like him.
*Hashevas Aveda- returning a lost object
*Cartis Maavar- transfer ticket
*Hashevas Aveda- returning a lost object
*Cartis Maavar- transfer ticket


3 comments:
Wow. I miss Israel. Thanks for another great post!
Wow. That is so amazing.
Now imagine if they would have been your house keys - you would have been oh so grateful to him! He would have saved you the trouble of having to take a bus back and trying to locate the keys...it would be such a hassle!!
I hope he found the owner of the keys...
Maybe the Master of the Universe was telling you that you have left something behind,(your 'keys') but you don't know it.
Post a Comment