Wednesday, October 27, 2010

In a Tap Teacher's Shoes




I have this adorable group of students that make up my Advanced tap class. Most of them have experience in other forms of dance, but this is their second year tapping, ever. They have a very special place in my heart. I saw them all put on their shoes for the first time. They have evolved from having an awkward, tense, and sometimes competitive group dynamic, to becoming a solid troupe that works together and is growing exponentially. 


Last week, I asked them what music they'd like to dance to in the upcoming summer's recital. Okay, I know that the music is always the teacher's choice (in the magical world of dance), but I figured that, well, these are teenage girls. I remember having quite a few opinions on just about everything when I was their age. And I know its October, but you try choreographing for tap- it takes much longer than you think it would. And then, try teaching it to non-professionals. And then, try polishing that into a real routine. And then, try having them do it without you. And then, try that facing AWAY from the mirror!

I needed to start somewhere. So why not hear them out about music?


Well, when I asked, they all gave me blank stares. 



I said, 'Nothing? No preferences??
Nothing.


'What about descriptive adjectives?' 
Again, nothing.They all took a sudden, rapt interest in the marks on the dance floor.


Then, the Most Confidant Girl suggested, 'FUN!'
There was a chorus of 'yeah, fun!' 'make it fun!' 'fun. not boring!' in agreement.

So ever since then I have been poring over my music sources in search of fun, appropriate-for-their-developmental-level tempo, recital-ready (meaning a good length or easy to cut) music. Oh, and no words- studio rules. And guess what?



I think I've found it!


How do I know? I know from the way my heart has been soaring whenever I listen to this music. And the way I sometimes have choreographic inspiration at the most inopportune times (like when I am trying to fall asleep and don't have my wits about me, let alone a pen). Most importantly, I can vividly see my students learning and loving this yet-to-be-finished routine, and carrying that collaborative creative effort (and all that they learned through it) with them, for life. And that, I am sure, will be fun. 

1 comment:

Devorah said...

I'm sure it will come out great since they have such a dedicated teacher like you who wants them to enjoy it all along!

Hope they all have lots of fun from the beginning (learning) to the end (performing).

Good luck!

Hit Counters
Hit Counters