Monday, September 6, 2010

Bath Time in the Bowl


I love giving my baby baths. Or should I say bowls? 

She currently bathes in a mixing bowl because we don't have space for a giant baby bath. When she's bigger, she'll probably upgrade to the sink or our shower (as we don't have an adult bathtub, either). It's so cute because she doesn't splash around yet, so I can bathe her wherever I choose to put the mixing bowl (lately, on our washing machine which doubles as kitchen counter space). 



She's extremely easy to bathe. When I place her in the water, she gets this far-off look in her eye (after all, 8 weeks ago, she was completely submerged in water) and her whole body relaxes. She also becomes very quiet, as if she's waiting for something paramount to happen. Her baby soap smells just like baby soap should, and I have 3 adorable hooded towels- all gifts from beloved friends- to choose from for the drying-off part.

One of my beloved mentors made a trip over to my apartment with 2 of her 8 children, to teach me how to give my baby a bath. I love and look up to this woman very much. She showed me the way the tepid water should feel, and how much water she needs, and how much soap, and to add the soap before the water, and how to safely hold the baby, and how to wash her from top to bottom. She then demonstrated how to wrap her immediately and dry her quickly, since babies can lose their heat very easily.


 It was so kind of her to do this- to make this special trip. I'll never forget it, and it will always make me smile at bath time with my baby. 


Have you ever been taught a skill in a way that makes you smile every time you perform it? 

1 comment:

Rivki Silver said...

It is fantastic that your baby likes baths - may it continue! Your description of being instructed in bath-giving is so touching. Nothing comes to mind for me for a moving instruction, but you've given me food for thought. :)

Hit Counters
Hit Counters