The more organized I attempt to become, the more I realize that I have an internal aversion to order.
It's like an allergy. I can usually ignore it and get by anyway, but its always there, and when I am tired or stressed, it flairs up.
Our apartment is very small. Whatever you are picturing, cut it in half. We love it- its perfect for us, but it requires a high level of organization. And a willingness to throw out or immediately give away ANYTHING that is not needed.
So to live here, I am constantly creating systems of order. And once I have a system, I realize how much I resist it. In chaos, you can't tell. But once things actually have a place, you see in broad daylight whether or not you consistently put them in their place.
Example: We have a diaper bin in addition to a regular garbage, right next to our changing table. Good system, right? Makes sense, right?
Well, I often find myself putting her diapers (the wet ones at least) in the regular garbage- which is FARTHER away than the bin. And even though our changing table is fantastic, and waterproof, with all supplies organized and at hand's reach, I often find myself changing her elsewhere (even after a few 'accidents').
So then I ask myself the question: what good is organization if I don't abide by my own system? In other words, if I am not perfect, why bother?
And I have arrived at the answer:
(the photo is my baby on her changing table. see, it DOES happen occasionally...)

3 comments:
She is so cute. And it sounds like you are doing a great job!
The Rav would be so proud. I still remember him telling us perfectionists to "stop it." I think there are many, many times in parenting (and, um LIFE) where a B+ is actually quite good. :)
thanks to you both for the encouragement!
Post a Comment