My father went to the bagel store on his recent visit (for the locals, this took place at Holy Bagel in the Tachana Mercazit). He saw that they had various cream cheeses and two varieties of harder cheese- one in yellow slices, one in white blocks.
He pointed to the yellow slices and asked, 'Excuse me, but is that muenster cheese?'
He pointed to the yellow slices and asked, 'Excuse me, but is that muenster cheese?'
The Israeli bagel employee just looked at him. These sorts of questions don't always warrant a response in this country.
My father, not knowing this, tried again. 'Do you speak English?'
'Ehhhmm, a little bit. What do you want?'
'I would like to know what kind of cheese that is.'
'This? This is yellow cheese.'
'It looks like a yellow cheese, I was wondering what type of cheese it is.' (by the way, my father is flawlessly polite- he said this in patience, not sarcasm)
'It is yellow cheese!'
'I am asking what kind of cheese it is- is it American cheese?'
'It is ehhhhm, it is like American cheese but it's yellow. We call it Yellow Cheese.'


1 comment:
This made me guffaw. Oh, whew. I can just see it.
Post a Comment